This is a perfect gateway class for absolute watercolour beginners. Learn the basics of watercolours through creative exercises and demonstrations, then spend afternoons working on a range of works including landscape, figurative, animal, bird and flowers.
You will learn about papers, brushes, colours and how to use them. Learn how to paint a scene or subject in watercolour, use light and colour and then enhance and emphasise using ink or pens to bring your work to life. Get lots of tricks and fun things you can add to your work without the stress. Find your own artistic style and become confident in your painting.Enrol
Full days. Monday to Friday, 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
This course is all about having fun and learning the magic of watercolour. Watercolour has a chemistry that no other medium has. The aim is to get confident using it and enjoy the process.
For absolute beginners
To be supplied by participant
Artist quality watercolour paints.
Brands to use include Art Spectrum. Windsor Newton. Tubes are best but you can buy watercolour in palettes with the colours already in them. Schmincke. Holbien, QoR, and Rowney to name a few.
Ask at your art supplies for artist quality or Cotmans Student colours can be used. They are made by Windsor Newton.
Colours I use in the course are
- Ultramarine Blue,
- Burnt Sienna,
- Sap Green,
- Van Dyke Brown
- Phthalo Blue,
- Alizarin Crimson or Permanent Crimson,
- Quinacridone Gold,
- Lemon Yellow
- Cadmium Yellow.
- Watercolour paper 300gsm. Brands to use: Fabriano Rough. Saunders Rough. Arches Rough. This paper comes in sheets 56 x 76cm. We cut them up to use. Alternatively, you can also use watercolour blocks or pad
- Artliner type fine-liners 1mm to 8mm. You don’t have to have all the sizes.
- Pilot Fineliner
- Dip Pens and nibs. An old fountain pen will also work.
- Art Spectrum Acrylic Ink in Black and Burnt Sienna
- Watercolour palette with plenty of mixing space
- Watercolour brushes in round sizes no.1,3 &6 and a small flat. Roymac Revolution is a good synthetic brush and reasonably priced.
- A large taklon flat for washes
- Liner brush or rigger for detail work
- Medium Board to tape your paper to approx 40 x 45 cm
- Masking tape
- Kneadable eraser
- White Gouache – Rowney or Art Spectrum
- Spray bottle. The reject shop has these.
- Water containers 2 x
- Paper towels
- Old towel or part thereof for taking moisture out of brushes
- Notebook and pen optional
I do have some art supplies available for purchase, should you have difficulty obtaining some of the above. I can also be contacted regards ordering some items for you and bringing them to the course but will need plenty of notice to get the goods in time.
Pre-order art supplies
Some materials can be purchased locally. Contact Gail Cardow from Island Art Shop & Studio to place your order before the Camp, to be delivered on the first day. Call 02 66556822 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or via her Facebook page.
Marion has been a practising artist for over twenty-five years, working in watercolour, acrylics and oils. She is an experienced art teacher who loves passing on her knowledge and passion for art. Her inspiration comes from the natural world, seen in the landscapes, wildlife and flora in her art.